Reggae Music Producers
What is a reggae producer?
The record producer directs the performance of the singer and musician when recording the music. The producer often also take an over-all responsibility for the creation of the record. Some producers have the role of technician too.
European top reggae producers:
- Mad Professor with his dub style has produced several artists and released them on his label Ariwa.
- Vladi Vargas of Soundism reggae music producers has mixed many Jamaican reggae music artists and some Europeans too.
Jamaican top reggae producers:
- Donovan Germain produced "Mr Mention" with debuting Buju Banton, the artist who got more number one singles than Bob Marley through that reggae production.
- Gussie Clarke put his hands on Dennis Brown's "To the Foundation" and Gregory Isaacs' "Never Be Ungrateful", other recordings are the debuts of Big Youth with " Screaming Target" and I Roy.
- Lloyd 'King Jamey' James was instrumental in transforming the Jamaican style to the digital age in the eighties, a big hit was "(Under Me) Sleng Teng" performed by Wayne Smith. He also produced the debut of Black Uhuru.
- Bobby Digital in addition to being part of the digital transformation, he also was influential in the emergence of reggaeton.
- Sly and Robbie are behind the rhythm of great tracks performed by artists such as Bob Marley, Jimmy Cliff, Burning Spear, Peter Tosh, Bob Dylan, and No Doubt. Sly and Robbie's website